Student Spotlight

Uday Patel, OMS II

Class of 2022

  • Hometown: Colorado Springs, Colorado
  • Undergraduate Studies: Bachelor of Science degree in Biochemistry from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. Graduate studies: Master of Science in Medical Physiology from Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana.
  • Clubs and Activities: I am a Peer Mentor and member of the RVU Rotary Club.

Why did you choose RVUCOM? I primarily chose RVU because of how close it is to my family and the friends that I grew...
Read More

Faculty Spotlight

Brooks Beal, DO

Assistant Professor of Primary Care

  • Hometown: Dublin, CA
  • Undergraduate Studies: Bachelor of Science degree in Biology.
  • Graduate Studies: Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree from Touro University Nevada.

What class/classes do you teach? I teach both years of Primary Care Medicine. Why did you choose to teach...
Read More

Office of the Registrar

The Office of the Registrar is responsible for the proper maintenance and housing of official student records. In addition to student registration, academic standing, transcripts, class rank, registration for medical boards (COMLEX and USMLE), name changes and replacement diplomas are also managed through the Registrar.

Students can update their personal contact information via MyVista.

  1. Log into your MyVista account >
  2. Click on the link at the top labeled, “Personal Info.”
  3. Select the Biographical Info tab at the top
  4. Select the pencil icon at the top to make changes
  5. Click the Submit button at the bottom of the page to submit changes

Final grades will be available through MyVista, approximately three weeks after the end of the semester. Final grades can be accessed via an unofficial transcript in MyVista. Check the individual degree program page for more information on specific grading practices.

VSAS is a standardized, online application for 4th year clinical away electives (RVU College of Osteopathic Medicine students only). At the end of the fall semester of the third year students will be granted access to begin the application process.

More information about VSAS can be found on MyVista or by reading through the VSAS Guide.

The following medical records are required to be submitted by all accepted applicants and matriculated students:

  • Hepatitis B Surface Antibody Titer (qualitative or quantitative)
    Requires Hepatitis B vaccine series to be completed first. The Hepatitis B vaccine is a series of three (3) vaccinations (completed at 0, 1, and 6 months) with a titer drawn after the last immunization. Negative or equivocal results will require a booster vaccine and another titer drawn in 6-8 weeks.
  • MMR IgG Titers (Three (3) separate titers for Measles, Mumps, and Rubella)
    Requires two (2) vaccinations (generally completed during childhood) before titers are drawn. If negative or equivocal results for any of the three, an MMR booster will be required and another titer will need to be drawn in 6-8 weeks.
  • Varicella IgG Titer (Chicken Pox)
    Requires two (2) vaccinations prior to the titer being drawn. If results are negative or equivocal a Varicella booster will be required and another titer to be drawn in 6-8 weeks.
  • Negative PPD Skin Test (Tuberculosis)
    After acceptance, students will be required to complete a PPD skin test. If the results are positive, evidence must be provided showing either the completion of a QuantiFERON-TB test or having taken INH prophylaxis for at least nine (9) months.
  • Tetanus Vaccination
    Records must indicate a Tetanus vaccine administered within the last ten (10) years. Evidence of administration of the TDap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) vaccine within the last ten (10) years is strongly recommended.
  • Influenza Vaccination
    Students participating in clinical externships are required to submit documentation showing that they have received a yearly influenza vaccination (during flu season).

Accepted Applicants

Accepted applicants are required to undergo and pass a 10-panel drug screening before their matriculation date. Only a urine sample is needed. Rapid drug tests are not acceptable. Failure to undergo and pass the drug screen within the posted time frame may result in admission being rescinded.

Matriculated Students

Matriculated Students participating in clinical rotations are required to undergo and pass a new 10-panel drug screening.

For more information and to register for these reports, please log into MyVista, select the Student tab and visit the Background Check & Drug Screening section.

Accepted Applicants

Accepted applicants are required to undergo and pass a background check before their matriculation date.  It is essential that all information about traffic violations that involve DUI or DWAI, all misdemeanors, or all felony charges be disclosed regardless of adjudication (including juvenile offenses, sealed, expunged or dismissed charges; any charges that are pending; any charges regardless of how much time has elapsed since the incident).

Matriculated Students

Matriculated Students participating in clinical rotations are required to undergo and pass a new background check.

For more information and to register for these reports, please log into MyVista, select the Student tab and visit the Background Check & Drug Screening section.


Students must fill out the diploma form (which will be made available in MyVista prior to graduation), specifying how they would like their name to appear on the diploma, as well as how to pronounce each name).

The diploma form will reflect your legal name as it appears on all official RVU student records. Any changes must be approved by the Registrar, Ashley Moran.

You are welcome to include – or not – your middle name. Think about how you want to be known professionally.

Nicknames are not permitted. (William, not Bob; Sandra, not Sandy).

Changing your name BEFORE graduation?

Complete the diploma form with your name as it WILL be when you graduate. Acceptable name change documentation must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office before the diploma will be released. For specific information on acceptable name change documentation, please visit the Forms sub-section of the Registrar’s Office webpage.

Changing your name AFTER graduation?

Complete the diploma form with your name as it WILL be when you change your name. Your diploma will be held until acceptable name change documentation is submitted and processed by the Registrar’s Office. For specific information on acceptable name change documentation, please visit the Forms sub-section of the Registrar’s Office webpage.

Replacement Diplomas

Replacement diploma (damaged, lost, future name changes, etc.) orders are placed with the Registrar’s Office by completing and submitting a Diploma Replacement Request Form. The fee for a replacement diploma is $50.00.

Graduation and Medical Education Verifications

Requests for Graduation and/or Medical Education Verifications can be made by submitting a completed Enrollment Verification Request Form to the Registrar’s Office. Feel free to attach any specific documents that may be to be completed with your request.

Official Transcripts

Official transcripts can be requested by completing and submitting an Official Transcript Request Form.

Student Regalia

For the Commencement ceremony, students are required to rent regalia (RVU covers the cost). More information regarding the rental process can be found in MyVista (including deadlines).

How do I order a transcript?

Transcripts can be ordered (free of charge) by completing an Official Transcript Request Form. Unofficial transcripts can be obtained through MyVista.

What medical records do I need to submit?

A complete list of requirement medical records can be found by selecting the Medical Records section of this page. More information can also be obtained in MyVista under the Student tab.

How do I find my class rank?

Class rank can be found on the last page of your Unofficial Transcript, which is available in MyVista.

How do I register for an elective course?

Registration for elective courses can be completed online via MyVista.

I need to verify my enrollment/graduation. How do I do this?

By completing an Enrollment Verification Request Form, we can provide you with a letter on letterhead verifying your enrollment/graduation/medical education. If you have a specific form that needs to be completed, please submit it with a completed Enrollment Verification Request Form.

I’m in the DO program and am trying to register for boards but there aren’t any dates available. Can you open more dates?

Unfortunately, no. Since Board Exams are not managed by RVU, we are not able to request more dates or seats be created. Check the NBME/NBOME website for more information regarding their schedule of exams.

Rocky Vista University informs students of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, annually. This Act was designated to protect the privacy of educational records. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect.The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests.A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks; or parents/legal guardians of dependent students.A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. The following is considered “Directory Information” at Rocky Vista University and will be made available to the general public unless the student notifies the Office of Student Records in person or in writing before the last day to add classes.Student’s name, telephone numbers, all addresses, e-mail address, photographs for University publications and web sites, place of birth, college, major, honors, awards, enrollment status, classification, dates of enrollment, degrees conferred, dates of conferral, graduation distinctions and the institution attended immediately prior to admission.
  4. FERPA permits the disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in § 99.31 of the FERPA regulations.Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, § 99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures. A postsecondary institution may disclose Personally Identifiable Information (PII) from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student:- To other school officials, including teachers, within [School] whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in § 99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) – (a)(1)(i)(B)(3) are met. (§ 99.31(a)(1))

    – To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of § 99.34. (§ 99.31(a)(2)

    – To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the university’s State-supported education programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of §99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal- or State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (§§ 99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)

    – In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid. (§ 99.31(a)(4))

    – To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction. (§ 99.31(a)(6))

    – To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions. (§ 99.31(a)(7))

    – To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes. (§ 99.31(a)(8))

    – To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. (§ 99.31(a)(9))

    – To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to § 99.36. (§ 99.31(a)(10))

    – Information the school has designated as “directory information” under § 99.37. (§ 99.31(a)(11))

    – To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of § 99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding. (§ 99.31(a)(13))

    – To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, subject to the requirements of § 99.39, if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her. (§ 99.31(a)(14))

    – To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (§99.31(a)(15))

  5. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Rocky Vista University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, DC 20202-4605.