The RVUCOM Office of Admissions processes thousands of applications for admission each year. The minimum requirements for admission include:
- US citizen or permanent resident. RVU is currently awaiting approval for international students.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university must be completed prior to matriculation (exceptions may be made and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. These exceptions may pertain to faith-based and/or strong international universities). In the event of coursework completed at foreign institutions, official detailed course-by-course evaluations must be completed by an approved agency. Please see the list of approved agencies in the RVU Student Handbook and Catalog.
- Minimum prerequisite course work that must be completed prior to matriculation includes:
– Biology (12 semester hours including lab)
– General Chemistry (8 semester hours including lab)
– Organic Chemistry (8 semester hours including lab)
– Physics (8 semester hours including lab)
– English or Literature (6 semester hours)
– Social or Behavioral Sciences (6 semester hours)
– Biochemistry (3 semester hours)
No grade below a “C” will be considered to fulfill requirements. Additional upper-division coursework such as Human Anatomy, Physiology, Genetics, and Cellular Biology is highly recommended.
- A minimum science and cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Note: The chances for admission for a candidate with minimal grades are limited. Admission would require outstanding achievement on the part of the candidate during their career or unique individual circumstances. Preference will be given to candidates with a science and cumulative GPA of 3.4 or higher. On average, candidates admitted to colleges of osteopathic medicine each of the past three years have GPAs greater than 3.4.
- We are currently not requiring candidates take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), due to COVID.
Note: The mean MCAT score for the last cycle's average was 505.06.
- CASPer Assessment: All candidates are required to take the CASPer and request to have official scores sent to RVUCOM.
- Three Letters of Recommendations (submitted to AACOMAS). Required letters include a letter from an academic reference (order of preference to include Pre-Med Advisor or Committee, Basic Science Faculty, or anyone who can speak to the candidate’s ability to successfully complete a rigorous medical school curriculum), a letter from a healthcare provider who has worked with the candidate (DO or MD preferred), and a final letter of the candidate’s choice. ***Because of the challenges of receiving letters due to the pandemic, RVU will also accept a letter from any health professional the candidate has worked with, regardless of whether or not they were directly supervised.*** Be aware that only the maximum number of letters submitted through AACOMAS will be considered. The Office of Admissions is not able to accept letters of recommendation sent directly to RVUCOM or from any other letter service, such as Interfolio or VirtualEvals.
- Students must provide official transcripts from all colleges attended where a degree was earned prior to matriculation. In the event of coursework completed at foreign institutions, the applicant must submit official detailed course-by-course evaluations completed by an approved agency. A list of these agencies is available in the University Handbook & Catalog.