January 15, 2021
Dear RVU Family:
Positive cases of COVID-19 have increased 5.10% since last week in CO and 10.04% in UT. Hospitalizations in UT are at an all-time high but hospitalizations in CO are declining. Since the CRT email last week, RVU has had 6 new positive cases with 5 students (4 clinical, 1 pre-clinical) and 1 employee. The running total of positive RVU cases is 86 (6.47% infection percentage) for students and 18 (5.96% infection percentage) for employees.
We understand that there are a lot of questions regarding vaccination plans. Federal recommendations and state plans continue to be fluid; information is constantly being updated. To ensure our RVU community is kept informed, the COVID Response Team will host its next Town Hall early next month. The date/time will be announced shortly.
Updates for this week are as follows:
- Student Return to Campus: Pre-clinical students will be returning to campus starting Tuesday for labs. Please remember that everyone entering campus must wear a surgical mask. Masks are available upon entering the building by Security. Only one surgical mask per person per week is allotted. Paper bags will also be provided to store your mask when not in use during the week.
- Vaccine Updates:
- The Rocky Vista Health Center has been approved to administer the COVID vaccine with small shipments of the vaccine expected within the next couple of weeks. Additional information will be shared with all of you as it becomes available.
- Our clinical year students are off to a great start with vaccinations at various locations. As of yesterday, 84% of Utah’s and 68% of Colorado’s third year medical students have been vaccinated or scheduled to receive at least their first dose of the vaccine by January 30. These are actually great numbers because many students are in categories where they shouldn’t get vaccinated now.
- Current information regarding vaccination plans for each state is provided in the links below:
- For Colorado’s plan, click here. Governor Polis provided an update on the vaccine on Tuesday of this week. It can be viewed here.
- For Utah’s plan, click here.
- This Week’s MythBuster: source
MYTH: The COVID-19 vaccine may give you COVID-19
FACT: There is no risk of the current mRNA vaccines infecting you with COVID-19 – both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines do not use any live viruses at all, not even in a weakened form.
Enjoy the MLK Holiday. Please remain extra vigilant and continue to do your part to ensure your personal safety as well as others around you. Together we remain RVU Strong!
COVID-19 Response Team