The Office of Simulation in Medicine in Surgery (SIMS) was established in 2019 to promote more hands on learning experiences for RVU students through healthcare simulations. The SIM Center recently went under construction, Fall 2020 was a grand re-opening to our physical locations on each campus under a new name, the RVU Healthcare Simulation Center.
Our modalities include:
- Standardized Patients (in-person and telehealth visits)
- Virtual Reality Patients (on students' personal computers or on the university's VR headsets)
- Task Trainers (for things like intubation, IVs, injections, cricothyrotomy, auscultation)
- Electronic Manikins (for team-based trainings, including critical care and birthing simulations)
- Ultrasound Machines
Our services include:
- Curriculum Integration
- SIM based courses such as the OMS III Surgical Skills Week course
- Resident Assessment
- Student Research
- Special Events
- SIM Scholars Interest Group
In terms of our remodel and features, most updates were to the Colorado campus to more closely match the Utah features that have worked very well:
- Ambulance Ramp and Entrance - New in CO, complete with backboards and a lounge for EMTs and other first responders during simulated events.
- Simulated Trauma Bays - New in CO, complete with wall murals, disposable medical kits, whiteboards, PPE, code carts. Trauma Bays can be split back into individual exam rooms with a blue, sound proof collapsible divider.
- Simulated Operating Rooms - New in CO, complete with wall murals, OR lights, disposable medical kits, mayo stands, whiteboards, PPE. OR Rooms can be split back into individual exam rooms with a blue, sound proof collapsible divider.
- Updated Inventory System
- Simulation Prep Room
- New equipment, including virtual reality on both campuses, portable butterfly ultrasound machines on both campuses, a SimMom OBGYN electronic manikin in Colorado, various new task trainers