College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM)
The faculty and staff of Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM) are committed to osteopathic philosophy and heritage, and to advancing the science and the art of the practice of osteopathic medicine. We feel that in doing so, we can best serve the needs of our students and the patients they will care for throughout their professional careers. The college is committed to producing not only competent, but also professional, ethical and compassionate physicians who are holistic inscope and philosophy.
The College is dedicated to recruiting, supporting and providing an osteopathic medical education for students from the Mountain West region, yet welcomes students from across the country to join us in the shadow of the magnificent Rocky Mountains. RVUCOM strives to recruit and educate individuals committed to becoming community-based, primary care physicians who will assist in meeting the needs of the wide diversity of patients they will encounter during their careers, and who will be equipped to adapt to the demands of a changing health care system. It is RVUCOM’s goal that all of its graduates will be prepared and competitive to enter any discipline upon graduation, while attempting to influence them to enter critically needed primary care specialties.
The principles of education that guide RVUCOM include early clinical integration and experience for its students; a supportive, active and interactive learning environment; and an integrated curriculum designed to provide the knowledge, skills and competencies required to prepare a student to enter graduate medical education and support life-long professional growth and learning.
RVUCOM has new, spacious and technically-sophisticated state-of-the-art facilities, along with an outstanding faculty, which together, provides the physical and intellectual resources required to deliver a quality medical education for its students in a positive, personal and educational environment.
RVUCOM’s extensive community partnerships ensures that the clinical sites and clinical faculty needed for the education of its students are available within the region, and that the student’s education will continue under the supervision and guidance of college appointed faculty. The COM is actively engaged in developing the graduate medical education opportunities that will be required and desired by graduates as well as other osteopathic and allopathic physicians within our community partners and at affiliated sites.
RVUCOM at a Glance
- RVUCOM holds programmatic accreditation by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA).
- RVUCOM admits approximately 3.3% of its applicant pool. The college’s mean MCAT scores and grade point averages exceed the national mean of students entering all colleges of osteopathic medicine.
- RVUCOM’s board scores are ranked at the top of all osteopathic medical schools.
RVUCOM graduates have 100% placement into residency programs.
- RVUCOM boasts among the highest percentage of medical students on military scholarship of any civilian medical school and has been designated as a Military Friendly School for the second consecutive year.
- RVUCOM is the first medical school to have a cut suit: a suit that is equipped with various simulated organs that can be cut, sliced, sutured, or removed.
- RVUCOM-CO From the Class of 2021’s 160 matriculants:
- Average MCAT score: 28.03
- Average Cumulative GPA: 3.58
- 64% men; 36% women
- Average age: 25.6
- Highest Degree Earned: 70% Bachelors; 30% Masters
- RVUCOM-SU From the Class of 2021’s 135 matriculants:
- Average MCAT score: 27.82
- Average Cumulative GPA: 3.55
- 81% men; 19% women
- Average age: 26.59
- Highest Degree Earned: 84% Bachelors; 16% Masters
- 2017 Residency Placement Rates:
- Overall: 100% (146/146)
- Military: 17.8% (26/146)
- AOA: 50.0% (73/146)
- NRMP: 32.2% (47/146)
- Residency Specialties and Locations
- Click here to see where RVU students matched for the Class of 2017.
Gainful Employment Disclosure
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at www.rvu.edu/gedt/gedt.html