RVUCOM participates in the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS) for the receipt and processing of applications. Applications are submitted electronically through AACOMAS click here. There is a single designation for RVUCOM for both the Colorado and Utah campuses. Candidates will select their preference for the location they would like to attend on the application and will also have an opportunity to select to be considered for the other location as well. AACOMAS processes applications within approximately 3-6 weeks. This timeframe may vary depending on the time it takes to receive an applicant’s transcripts and the volume of applications being processed. RVUCOM’s deadline for submitting an AACOMAS application is March 15, 2023. Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis, therefore it is in an applicant’s best interest to apply early in the process. Once an applicant’s AACOMAS application is received, it is evaluated to determine if the minimum requirements have been met. These requirements include:
- A minimum science and cumulative GPA of 3.00;
Note: The chances for admission for a candidate with minimal grades are limited. Admission would require outstanding achievement on the part of the candidate during their career or unique individual circumstances. Preference will be given to candidates with a science and cumulative GPA of 3.6 or higher. On average, candidates admitted to colleges of osteopathic medicine each of the past three years have GPAs greater than 3.6.
- RVUCOM is requiring candidates to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). Candidates are required to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) within 3 years prior to matriculation. There is no minimum required score.
Note: A competitive MCAT score is around 506
- Three Letters of Recommendations (submitted to AACOMAS), required letters include:
- A letter from a healthcare provider (DO or MD preferred) who has worked with the candidate.
- An academic reference (order of preference to include Pre-Med Advisor or Committee, Basic Science Faculty, or anyone who can speak to the candidate's ability to successfully complete a rigorous medical school curriculum).
- A letter of the candidate's choice.
- Be aware that only the maximum number of six (6) letters submitted through AACOMAS will be considered. The Office of Admissions is not able to accept letters of recommendation sent directly to RVUCOM or from any other letter service, such as Interfolio or VirtualEvals.
Applicants meeting these minimum requirements will receive an email containing instructions for submitting the supplemental application and fee. RVUCOM's deadline for submitting the supplemental application is April 15, 2023. Candidates will select their campus of choice in the supplemental questions within the AACOMAS application and can opt to have their application considered for the other campus if they are not considered for their preferred campus. Candidates who initially do not meet the minimum academic requirements are welcome to resubmit updated information through AACOMAS. Candidates resubmitting qualifying information will then be invited to proceed through the process upon verification that the minimum requirements have been met. Applicants awarded an AACOMAS fee waiver will be granted a fee waiver for RVUCOM’s supplemental fee. Fee waivers will also be granted for active duty military, veterans, as well as immediate family members.
An applicant’s file is considered complete upon the receipt of the AACOMAS application, supplemental application, processing fee, and letters of recommendation (letters submitted with applications from previous years will not be transferred). Be aware that we will only consider the maximum number of letters submitted through AACOMAS. We are not able to accept letters of recommendation sent directly to RVUCOM, or from any other letter service such as Interfolio, or VirtualEvals.
For submission instructions on the fee waiver, visit here
The deadline for submitting a supplemental application and fee for the class matriculating is April 15, 2023. Please note that due to the rolling admission process, it is feasible that all interviews will be awarded prior to this date.
The Office of Admissions reviews all completed files and notifies applicants of their interview status. All applicants invited for an interview are given the choice of several interview dates.