Dear RVU Family,
We hope that everyone had a safe, relaxing Memorial Day and a good rest of the week.
Here are some important messages, reminders and updates:
- Moment of silence. Sadly, COVID-19 has claimed in excess of 100,000 deaths in the U.S. including 1,168 losses in Colorado and 106 in Utah. We ask that you consider taking a moment of silence today to reflect as our RVU Community grieves for these many lost lives and all those personally affected by this tragedy.
- The state of states. Some states have increasing numbers of new cases, some have a steady number of new cases (including UT), and some states have declining numbers of new cases (including CO). Source Many states are in various phases of being open and we understand the strong temptation you may face in regards to returning to normal life ASAP! However, with a potential second wave looming over us, now is NOT the time to let our guard down.
- Campus re-opening update. The Guiding Principles and Strategy sub-committee produced the final draft of the RVU Reintegration Plan, which was approved yesterday by the COVID-19 Response Team. Discussions are now underway on how to best implement this plan to start bringing our employees and students safely back to campus in multiple phases following our new Guiding Principles:
- The safety, health, and well-being of the RVU Community comes first, with respect to public health guidance and medical evidence
- All decisions will be anchored in our core values
- Our commitment to excellence in medical education will guide decisions as we adapt to the evolving situation
- We will face challenges with passion, perseverance, and patience while seeking opportunities to innovate and emerge as a stronger RVU
- We are dedicated to educating the RVU community with transparency and regular communications to promote informed decisions and personal responsibility
- Myth Buster. Antibiotics are NOT effective in preventing or treating COVID-19. Antibiotics are only effective against bacteria; they have no effect on viruses. Antibiotics may be given to hospitalized COVID-19 patients to prevent bacterial co-infections.
- Next Town Hall. The next COVID-19 Response Team Town Hall will be held on Monday, June 8 (calendar invitation to come out shortly). We will present the RVU Reintegration Plan to everyone along with other relevant updates.
Please remember that all of us at RVU are held to a higher standard than the general public. Therefore, we expect all members of our RVU family to remain vigilant and continue to adhere to all safety guidelines (face masks, social distancing, and frequent hand washing) in your community. We have been very fortunate to have had only three employees who have fallen ill to COVID-19 (two residents and one member of our health center in Parker). Fortunately, all have made a complete recovery!
Thank you for your continued resilience and the unwavering commitment to RVU and each other.
Together we remain RVU Strong!
The COVID-19 Response Team