Dear RVU Family,
Summer is winding down and the Labor Day Holiday is upon us. Traditionally, this last holiday of the summer entails soaking up some sun and enjoying gatherings with family and friends. Please continue to be mindful of hand hygiene, social distancing and wearing a face mask during this long weekend. Due to everyone’s continued diligence, RVU has no new reported cases of COVID-19 since our last report from our Town Hall on August 14. Let’s continue to keep SARS-CoV2 off our campus!
A few points of information we wanted to share this week:
- Masks are state-mandated for schools in both Colorado and Utah. Information regarding masks mandates for schools for Utah can be found here. Colorado mask mandate for public places (including public schools) is available here.
- Please be careful when posting to your social media accounts. As an RVU employee or student, you are asked to demonstrate professional behaviors in all arenas. RVU has a social media policy, which you can view on Dynamic Policies by clicking here (must be logged into the RVU network). Focused information can be found in the employee handbook (p.40) and student handbook (P.18, 23).
- Yet another reminder regarding who to contact if you have viral illness symptoms or have concerns about having COVID-19:
- Employees are to contact their direct supervisor, who will in turn contact the campus HR Partner (UT) or HR Manager (Colorado). You may be asked to fill out the Screening and Attestation Form or the Contact Tracing Reporting Form based on your individual situation.
- Pre-Clinical Students are to contact the Associate Dean of Student Affairs. You may be asked to fill out the Screening and Attestation Form or the Contact Tracing Reporting Form based on your individual situation.
- COM students must also contact their respective DPCE regarding absences or missed exams.
- PA students must also contact their respective Program Directors regarding absences or missed exams.
- MSBS students must also contact their respective Program Directors regarding absences or missed exams.
- Clinical Students on clinical externship rotations are to contact the Preceptor and Clinical Rotation Coordinator in their respective programs (DO or PA), who will in turn notify the Associate Dean of Clinical Education and/or the PA Program Director. Clinical students may be asked to fill out the Contact Tracing Reporting Form.
- Myth: The CDC stated that only 6% of the reported COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. were actually caused by COVID-19.
Fact: COVID-19 was the only listed cause of death in 6% of death certificates recorded for patients who died of COVID-19. This statistic does not include the vast majority of death certificates that listed respiratory failure, cardiac arrhythmia, sepsis, pneumonia, or any other reasons contributing to the death of a COVID-19 patient. It is very likely that most, if not all, of the death certificates in the 6% group were not filled out comprehensively by overwhelmed emergency, critical care, or other front-line physicians.
Please enjoy a relaxing Labor Day weekend. Stay safe and healthy. Thank you for keeping us RVU Strong!
COVID-19 Response Team